Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Border progress-Cat's paw


I have always loved the Cat's Paw rugs. I wanted to include this design in one of the minor borders, but I was afraid that it would look too modern. I decided to hook up a section. It looks great. Do you agree? I decided to make the background the darkest background value that I am using to outline the motifs in the center of the rug.

This test proves that what looks bad (or good) on paper as a black and white drawing can look very different once it is hooked. If I had not been so determined to find a way to make this design work, I would never have attempted it. On paper it looks very modern and completely out of sync with the center.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cindi, I really feel strongly that the cats paws and the lines, with the same colors, have opposite movement. How this works with the
rest of the rug as a whole concerns
me. Not able to see the total rug
makes it hard. Will this border make the rug float when done? Or complement it? Draw the eye away?
I guess you are trying to balance the weight and movement of the scrolls. After doing a piece with
cats paws I reflect upon the movement and color, they take on a life of their own. Enjoy a happy
meeting of borders, happy hooking.
Louise