Monday, October 22, 2007

Day 22 Rug hooking the scrolls

I really like to hook the scroll. I am using two rows of random golds filled with my favorite gold/green combination. A darker vein down the center gives some definition. I am still experimenting with which wool to use for the vein.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Day 7 Rug Hooking the rose

I am not happy with the rose. I will try to hook it another way when I do another. For now, it will stay as it is. If I rip it out now, I will not have a record of what DOES NOT work. Knowing what does not work is often as important to know as what does work.

Friday, October 5, 2007

Day 5 Rug Hooking Continued

I took the rug downstairs. This was no easy task. The backing alone weighs 20 pounds!

I wanted to be sure that the rug was going in the direction I wanted. You can see my couch with the footstool in front of it. I am pleased with it so far. I am now very anxious to get it done.

Day 5 Rug Hooking Progress

Hooking has gone fairly easy, but I did my home work before I started. I knew how the motifs hooked up and how all the wools worked together by doing several "study" pieces. You can see the hooked pieces I mention below by visiting the links that follow.

I designed a stair riser, Queen Anne Rose, with some of the motifs that I wanted to use. Next I hooked a footstool, Square Pocketful, using more of this same color scheme. Karen Kahle's pattern, Antique Rose Runner, used lots of hit and miss, again in the same colors. Next came another stair riser, Annie's Scrolls. Finally, I designed a companion footstool, Annie's Flower Power, experimenting with shapes and using the same color scheme.

Queen Anne Rose
Square Pocketful
Antique Rose Runner
Annie's Scroll

Annie's Flower Power

I am not satisfied with how the vine over the center support. I will change it later if it still bothers me.

Monday, October 1, 2007

Day 1 of rug hooking: Putting the pattern on the backing

October 1, 2007 This is the pattern design now. The borders will probably change as I go. It took me a full day to prepare the backing. I had to iron it because it was folded badly for a long time and some of the creases were quite sharp. Next I zig zagged the edges with my 1975 sewing machine that is in desperate need of an adjustment. That took forever. Then I traced the pattern onto red dot. (You can purchase red dot on the supplies page.)

I only traced the center of the design out to the scrolls. I left off the borders because I will probably change them anyway.